Thursday, February 7, 2008

Leap Years

I love leap years. I was born in Chickasha, OK in 1984 at the end of the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. About 2 1/2 months later former Vice President Walter Mondale lost his bid for the White House in a landslide election to President Ronald Reagan.

Leap years have always been significant in my life.

As you already know, I was born in 1984. The Bush Dynasty took possession of the White House in 1988. My family moved to Montana in 1992. In 1996 the FBI stormed the sleepy town where we lived and arrested Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber. We were back in Oklahoma when I got my driver's license in 2000. Then in 2004 as a sophomore at The University of Oklahoma I realized I wanted to be a doctor and changed majors to make it happen. Now the year is 2008 and I will be turning 24 years old during the Summer Olympics in Beijing. Two and a half months later our nation will hold what may be the most important, life-altering, painfully fought presidential election in its history.
These are exciting times in all of our lives, not just mine. I can't say I'm ready for what might happen. Are you?

No comments: