Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Don't Get Married

I hear people talk about how they want a family and not to be alone. I don't have a family of my own, but I know what it's like to be alone. I don't mean to be spiteful, but the family I came from trained me to be alone. We (actually, it was one person) cut out an entire half of our family and we rarely see anyone from the other half, save my mother's sister and brother-in-law.

My parents have a tense relationship and I often feel that they would be happier divorced. They don't say words as hate-filled as their tones towards each other communicate. This is why I have lately felt that marriage may not happen for me. I mean, I used to think that I would one day have the perfect marriage by avoiding all the mistakes my parents made, but in my experience most of the miserable people I know are married. They're miserable, and to be quite honest, I'm miserable enough alone. Why burden myself with someone else's unhappiness when I know I won't feel any less lonely?

I have a theory that I believe to be accurate; a theory that devotion to another does not have to be sealed by something as trivial by today's standards as a marriage license. People are signing prenuptial agreements to keep from loosing their things when they get divorced. These days people are planning their divorces before they get married. What's the point in getting married then? The gays seem to be getting by just fine without it so why do the straight people in the world need it? There are no such things as devotion and commitment. I wonder if there ever were.

The church so readily gravitates toward the institution of marriage yet we only use marriage because those who lived at the time the Bible was written used it. You don't see people slaughtering their livestock in the streets or riding from town-to-town on asses these days. Things change. What good is a marriage license if it's so easy to end a marriage?

I think marriage should be gotten rid of altogether. It's a joke. If we're each totally devoted to someone and never want to be with anyone else, why would we need a marriage license? It wouldn't validate your love for that person any more than normal. How could a marriage license make that devotion any more real? It can't.

We should get rid of marriage.

1 comment:

Dana Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.