Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Transit


Well, I'm in the car with my family writing this. We're just now passing Groom, Texas on our way to New Mexico for a short getaway. This is the first time I've been outside the state in well over a year; the last time being on my mammal studies trip to Colima, Mexico. I have to say that getting out of Oklahoma is a bit of relief. As great a state as it is there's only so much I can take. Moderation is key.
Anyway, we always celebrate crossing the border by screaming "yee-haw" and laying on the horn. It's a tradition. It may seem ridiculous, but I don't care. There are some things about my family that I think are really cool.

Groom is nice... in the dark. I can't really tell much about it. It's got a water tower that leans worse than the Leaning Tower of Pisa and a massive white cross. I guess people who convert to Christianity because of that cross are well-Groomed. Go ahead and sigh exasperatingly.

The plans on this short trip are to spend the first day in Roswell, New Mexico, scouting for UFOs and trolling the small shoppes and museums. My brother Chris is the geek of the family so the first day really belongs to him. I'm going to enjoy it though. The second day we're going to Carlsbad Caverns. My parents thought that we'd go see the bats there, but I told them it's too cold for bats to be there. You never know though, I could be pleasantly surprised. I'm just ecstatic that I'm out of Oklahoma if only for a couple of days. The saying "there's no place like home" may be accurate, but it's both rhetorical and - in my case - irrelevant. I've experienced home. I know what it's like. But there's so much out there to see. I guess my reasoning in wanting to see all that I can is that there's no place like home.

No comments: